A lot of parents want to go for Umrah with their entire family. If the children are over 5 years old and
healthy then it is relatively easy but if the children are under that age then some precautions should be
made so that you can take care of them while performing your Umrah rituals.
The first thing to make sure is that never go alone with more than one child. This will create a lot of problems for you and it will be hard to keep an eye on them and they might wander off and get lost. If you are going to Umrah, go with at least one other person so that you can take turn while performing Umrah and keeping an eye on the kids. Consulting your travel agent can provide you with discounts for children that are accompanying you on Umrah. There are Umrah packages where you can get discounts for the children that will accompany you. Here are some valuable tips that will help you with Umrah and your
visit to Madinah.
- Try to book a hotel close to the Masjid-al-Haram.
- Always make sure your small children are wearing an ID with parent's name, hotel name, contact number, passport number etc. The children that usually wander off from their parents are normally found by the Mosque security. If such a case arises then you can contact them.
- Keeping an eye on them is important while you are praying in case they wander off.
- Ihram is not necessary for children who have not reached puberty. However you can put Ihram on them if you wish. But they should be taught about the restrictions of Ihram but if they commit a violation then there is neither penalty on the child or the parents. If you dressthem in their everyday clothes then make sure that the clothes are not too flashy or attraction gathering.
- The weather of Makkah and Madinah is very hot during the summers. The best time for Umrah with small children is during October to January. The interior of Masjid-al-Haram and Masjid-un-Nabwi are air-conditioned.
- Women praying areas in both Mosques are separate. Children usually accompany their mothers where there are several other children.
- Always carry a baby bag for toddlers and small children with all necessary things so that you don't have to run back to the hotel. There should be plenty of water for the children in case the weather is hot.
- Tawaaf and Sa'ye (running around the Safaa and Marwa mounts) is an important part of Umrah. If you have a toddler with you performing Umrah then it will not be any problem carrying him while doing Tawaaf. Some levels are less crowded for doing Tawaaf in case you have children who can walk and run for themselves. For Sa'ye you can rent a wheel chair and put the child in the wheel chair.
- There are no day cares in Makkah where you can leave your children. Umrah takes little time so you can also leave small children behind in the hotel if you want of perform Umrah while they are taking a nap.
Some people don't prefer to take children along for Umrah. But it is considered very good to take them with you because this will bring them closer to Islam and will be beneficial for them in their future life. So when you are planning for Umrah for this year, please keep this in mind.